US President Donald Trump "may endorse somebody" in the upcoming Israeli election, he told FOX News on Monday morning, but conceded it would be "most appropriate for me to stay out of it."
Speaking to FOX's Trey Yingst in a phone call, Trump noted that "I think it's most appropriate for me to stay out of the Israeli elections," adding that "I may endorse somebody."
In the call, Trump also reiterated his call for Israel to show restraint and avoid carrying out targeted strikes in Gaza - strikes that would prevent his 20-point plan for Gaza from advancing.
Trump's son-in-law Jared Kushner on Monday led a delegation of American and Board of Peace officials, including head Nickolay Mladenov and Tony Blair, who met with Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu in Jerusalem as the US sought to ramp up pressure on Israel to advance the Gaza plan.
Israeli opposition reportedly asked Trump to remain neutral in elections
Trump's comments follow reports across Israeli media noting that figures close to Netanyahu's main political rivals, including Gadi Eisenkot and Naftali Bennett, have in recent months conveyed messages to Trump’s associates through acquaintances, donors, and political allies, asking him to remain neutral in the election.
The comments also follow an Axios report published earlier this week, noting that Trump questioned the prime minister on the Likud's position in the polls during the latter's late July visit to Washington.
According to the report, Netanyahu initially paused before one of his advisors told Trump: "Mr. President, he is winning."
Ahead of the meeting, Netanyahu hoped to secure Trump’s support for his reelection campaign ahead of the October 27 election, sources familiar with the matter said.
Israel's general elections to the Knesset are slated for October 27.
Anna Barsky contributed to this report.