China urged the US to immediately withdraw Section 232 tariffs it imposed on imports of drones and related components, a Chinese commerce ministry spokesperson said on Thursday during a press conference.
The tariffs "treat related Chinese products in a discriminatory manner and seriously harm the interests of Chinese companies," He Yadong, a ministry spokesperson, said.
"China firmly opposes this," He said.
US President Donald Trump announced plans to impose tariffs on imports of drones and their components last week, including those from some key US allies, with the administration explaining that the country is "too reliant" on foreign sources for drones.
US report on Chinese transshipment
Additionally, the Chinese Ministry of Commerce strongly opposed a recent US report on transshipment and urged Washington to stop making "irresponsible accusations."
The report, released last week, claimed that the US loses between $19 billion and $26 billion annually in tariff revenue due to goods, primarily from China, being transshipped through third countries to circumvent US import duties.
He Yadong criticized the report, saying it "disregards facts and distorts right and wrong" and aims to suppress and block Chinese products.