The Police Service of Northern Ireland (PSNI) arrested and charged a 30-year-old man for attacking an Israeli journalism crew with a glass, the police spokesperson told The Jerusalem Post on Monday.

As previously reported by the Post, a crew from i24NEWS’ Hebrew channel was attacked earlier in the month in the Northern Irish capital while filming for a documentary series on Europe’s rising antisemitism.

The incident happened while i24NEWS reporter Yonatan Raveh and cameraman Nadav Abbas were conducting street interviews near a well-known bar complex.

Journalists say attacker targeted them after hearing they were Israeli

Raveh told the Post on Sunday that he believed the attacker, a man, had overheard them telling two Irish interviewees that they were from Israel.

“He came over to us and started asking questions. We put the camera on him, and then he gave us the middle finger and shouted: “f*** Israel.”

The man attempted to grab Raveh and Abbas’ camera equipment, and made inappropriate gestures toward the camera. Raveh and Abbas called for police or security from any of the nearby establishments to intervene while the man followed them threateningly.

Raveh told the Post that bar security came over, saw what was happening, but “didn’t do anything.”

The man then threw a large glass beer mug at Abbas, hitting him in the head and cutting him. Security then intervened and put the journalists in the bar.

Police file multiple charges after Belfast incident

Local police told the Post that a 30-year-old man has been charged with a number of offenses including assault occasioning actual bodily harm, common assault, assault on police and two counts of possession of an offensive weapon in a public place.

He appeared before Belfast Magistrates Court on Thursday 13th August. As is normal procedure, all charges will be reviewed by the Public Prosecution Service.

Political leaders condemn attack

Democratic Unionist Party leader Gavin Robinson said the assault is "deeply concerning."

"There can be absolutely no justification for violence or intimidation directed towards journalists because they are Israeli or Jewish."

He said the PSNI must fully investigate the circumstances of the incident, including its motivation.

"People are entitled to hold strong views about the Middle East, but that can never become a license for hatred or violence against Israeli or Jewish people," Robinson added.

He also said that Northern Ireland "knows only too well" where hatred based on identity can lead.

"If this attack was motivated by antisemitism, it must be recognized and condemned unequivocally. There must be no place for antisemitism or any form of intimidation on our streets," he concluded.